Sunday, October 1, 2017

what I read this month... September 2017!



With back to school craziness I didn't feel like I had much time to read in September... but I did read a few really good books that I can't wait to share with you!

The Good Widow... This book is a perfect twisty and dark novel that I couldn't stop reading.  When a woman is notified that her husband died in a car accident in Hawaii when he was supposed to be on a business trip in Kansas her life unravels. She believes she is putting it back together and finding answers to what really happened to her husband, but is she really? Another great read in the contemporary thriller category that keeps you guessing until the very end!

Love and Other Consolation Prizes... This historical fiction takes place during the Alaskan Yukon Pacific World's Fair both in 1909 and later in the 1960's.  The story follows young Ernest that was sold by his mother in China to become a servant in America.  He was later raffled off as a "houseboy" at the AYP Fair. With tenderness and elegance the story unfolds as Ernest finds his place in the world at a high class brothel in Seattle working as a houseboy. What follows is a touching story of love and resilience that I won't soon forget.  This book is one of the favorites I have read all year - I can't recommend it enough! If you haven't read this author's other book, Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet I highly recommend that also! Or if you want more books about World's Fairs I recommend The Swan Gondola and Devil in the White City.  That was just 4 book recommendations in one! ;) (Please note, I received an Advanced Review Copy of this book free of charge, all opinions are my own)

The Designer... While this book isn't "high literature" I devoured this fun historical fiction following the rise of Christian Dior in post World War II Paris.  I love WWII fiction and each time I read a book in this genre I gain a new perspective on the war. This book is told from the point of view of young American journalist living in Paris with her journalist husband to cover the war. A colorful cast of lovable characters tell the story of love, fashion, war, friendship, hope and success in the City of Lights.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo... I have loved every book by this author and this one is no exception! The book follows a former movie star, Evelyn Hugo, who is now reclusive and nearing the end of her life.   Evelyn now wants to tell her side of the story of her life in the spotlight and her 7 marriages.  When she taps a little known writer, Monique, to write her biography which will be worth millions to the press, Monique can't figure out why she would be chosen for the job.  Through the story of Evelyn's seven husbands we learn about the many shapes and forms loves takes, about living a life with no regrets and the dark underworld of Hollywood in the 50s and 60s.  With lovable characters and a quick moving storyline this book was another clear favorite this month! I also loved Maybe in Another Life, One True Loves and Forever Interrupted by the same author.

What books have you been reading and loving lately? For more of my book recommendations - you cans see all of the archives here!

 

site design by kiki co.